Homepage > Company > Background
1888 : Founding of Carrières du Hainaut, a public limited company.
1894 : Carrières du Hainaut conquers international markets : France, the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Russia, the Dutch Antilles and Argentina.
1902 : Foundation of the Carrières du Hainaut stonecutter apprentice school.
1905 : Carrières du Hainaut produces the stone for the Monumental Arches « Cinquantenaire » in Brussels.
1931 : Construction of the Charleroi town hall.
1934 : Carrières du Hainaut supplies stones for the Heysel Grand Palais du Centenaire.
1935 : Products are distributed in France, the Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Marocco, the UK (and colonies), Denmark, Switzerland, Brazil, South Africa, Italy and Argentina.
1986 : «Pierre Bleue du Hainaut» becomes the registered trademark of the natural blue stone extracted at Soignies by Carrières du Hainaut.
1987 : Carrières du Hainaut increases its capital by 2.47 millions Euro on merging with the ETEX group.
2002 : The Etex group sells a majority stake in Carrières du Hainaut to the members of the current management of the company and to their financial partner NeSBIC Buy out Fund B.V.
2004 : Carrières du Hainaut sca received from the Ministry of Transport and of Social Economy a « Social Label » for a socially responsible production company. This label confirms that all along the production process and marketing of the products, Carrieres du Hainaut abides by the rules and obligations of the «International Labor Organisation»
2005 : Bencis sells Carrières du Hainaut to its board of directors, accompanied in the transaction by Verlinvest and Cobepa.
2008 : 120 years old – see Deed of Incorporation (PDF).